Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Caribbean of the Rockies

We spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Bear Lake. We had SOOOOO much fun. Bear Lake is left over from Lake Bonneville (a prehistoric lake that once covered most of Utah). It's 8 miles east to west, 208 feet deep at it's deepest point and something like 16 miles north to south. It is also home to the Bear Lake Monster, the evil cousin of Loch Ness. Here are quite a few pictures of our vacation....
jaxon at the scenic lookout on the way in



this was on the way home and Mykenzie and Jayden were already asleep














he was eating the sand with a shovel at one point

getting tired

he had a blast with his boat. It tipped over a few times and got submerged a few times, but he had tons of fun

I think he didn't want to be in the water, but was trying to get to chris.
he usually liked being in the water and splashing and playing, but this was day 2 and he was EXHAUSTED!
this was when he realized that I was on the beach
silly me, I told mykenzie to pose!


we tried to take a picture of just me and chris because we have very few of those...but alas, still didn't accomplish it!

we drove our cars right down to the beach...bear lake doesn't go as high as it used to so now there is al this open beach, so there are roads all over that go right down to the beach...sure beats paying and having to walk miles like in boston!

susie the mermaid


mykenzie couldn't sit still long enough to actually get done (shocker, I know!)

Jayden, however, loved this....he was helping to bury himself


his new legs!

from the car looking at the lake

jayden burying me...and yes, that sunburn is painful
jayden's sandy butt! it was so cute!


jaxon loved shoveling the sand and then throwing it in the lake

susie and the kids building sandcastles



mykenzie's close up

we sure were!








4 comments:

Jim and Lisa said...

I always think the term prehistoric is funny. Before history?

It looks like you guys had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Well it looks like you were the only ones at the beach...how did you work that out. Sure looks inviting!
dad

Nikki said...

It was a Monday and Tuesday just days before school starts.

Utah Boating said...

I really like this entry about the Caribbean of the Rockies. I found your blog by searching that term. :)

I hope you don't mind me asking but I was wondering if I could use some of your more scenic images of the lake on my blog. www.utahboatinginfo.com

For what it's worth I assure you i'm just a normal Utah-ite, with a blog. Please feel free to reply back to utahboating @ gmail.com with any questions you might have.

Thank you,

Kerry