Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm Still Alive...

I bet you were thinking that I didn't like my new background, so I won't blog anymore...OH how wrong you were! I thought I would show you the evolution of projects that have kept me from keeping you informed...It all started with the fence needing to be re-stained. For those who have seen our backyard and know the size of our fence will understand that this is NO SMALL project. I started on a Thursday and finished the next Tuesday. Chris helped as much as he could on Saturday and with his help we finished the entire back of the fence and almost halfway down the north side. This is a close up of the finished project...looks pretty good, huh?!

Here is a general idea of the size of our backyard and by extension, the size of the fence. In reality, I didn't do both sides of the back or south (those neighbors can paint it themselves if they want it painted! That paint was EXPENSIVE!)

This new paint job led me to want a bigger improvement in my backyard, something a little nicer. Chris found the following furniture on clearance at wal-mart...and a happy mother's day to me:
That was nice, but now we needed something to make it even better, so we (meaning I) decided a nice little flower bed would look really good there (the grass doesn't grow very well right there and it is a pain to mow, so voila...a new flower bed). For those who are gardeners--or like to think they are...those are some emerald pines (NO needles), a few dogwood bushes, some daylillies (a staple in our yard and in our region...they can tolerate the heat) and two bluebell flowers. Chris added the lights and it makes a nice effect in the evening...I'll have to take a picture of that!


That lovely project got extended after a complaint that it is annoying to mow between the window wells, as, indeed, it is. So I continued the flower beds into the back of the house. These are the same trees as well as calla lillies. I'm needing a little help with those if anyone has some. I planted nine of them and 5 of them are on their way out...I'm quite frustrated. Chris also decorated this with lights and it looks really nice at night.The final transformation in our backyard is a NEW GRILL! Chris really enjoys cooking out and we all REALLY enjoy what he cooks. He is a charcoal man. Our old grill was a gas grill with all the insides taken out and brick in the bottom. This is a backyard professional...and it makes GREAT burgers, dogs and steaks. We've yet to try some chicken on it, but I'm sure it will be just as wonderful!


And here is what was neglected--besides the kids, of course--our garden. It so DESPERATELY needs to be weeded...my project for next week!
Now throw in there Sarah's wedding which of course is an all day affair, plus the day before with helping set up and then a doctors appointment and an ultrasound to measure the little guy and that's why I've not been on here for a while!

4 comments:

ellen said...

Nice yard!!

Cris said...

I'm impressed. Now I just have one question - aren't you suppose to be on bed rest or something like that?

Nikki said...

no...where did you hear that...

TXlaps said...

charcoal all the way - gas grills are for whimps!