Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Surprise!

Payton Rodney Anderson was born early Sunday morning...being 10 weeks early. For those interested in the "details". I started having contractions Friday night. I took the terbutaline (sp?) that I had and the contractions stopped and I went to bed. I felt pretty good all day Saturday. In the middle of the night I started having contractions again and then I thought my water broke. I got up to take care of everything and noticed some blood and had some really strong contractions. We hurried to the hospital where they put me in an observation room, meaning nothing in there to deliver the baby. I put on the gown and was standing there with Chris rubbing my back and my water broke. It was kind of a mad dash from there until he was born. The on call doctor luckily was there. She told me I'd have to be life flighted to Ogden since the nursery up here can't take babies younger than 32 weeks. So she checked me and I was completely dialated and a plus 2 (which means the baby was almost there already). Then things got really crazy. They started bringing everything in to do the delivery and then decided to move me to a different room. They got a hold of the pediatrician and we were waiting for him for a few minutes. They hurried and put in an IV with some antibiotics. Then kindly told me there was absolutely no time for any pain medication--if you know me, that is NOT a good thing AT ALL! Then his heart rate started dropping with the contractions. As he started to come out, the Dr. noticed that the cord had come down first and was in the way, it was getting pinched with every contraction and cutting off his Oxygen. He was born in about 10 minutes, put on my tummy to cut the cord and then handed over the the NICU nurses and the Pediatrician. He was born crying, so they just made sure everything was ok and then rushed him down to the NICU. About 1/2 hr. later they came back with the update. The life flight would be there in 45 mins to take him down to Ogden. They wheeled me up to the NICU to see him before he took off. We were able to go outside with him and watch the helicopter take off. The pilot was really nice. He overheard us talking about Jax and Kenzie possibly seeing the helicopter from grandmas if they went outside, so he purposely looped up and around her house for them. I went in to recovery and was there for a couple of hours. They released me at 1 pm (payton was born at 5:36am) so I could go down and be with the baby. Chris and I went down there and were there Sunday and Monday. Chris came home monday night and I stayed until tuesday night. The plan right now is for me (at least me) to go down every other day. My dad and laree have made a HUGE sacrifice and sent mom out here to help me for a while. Lisa and Jim were out here on vacation and took the kids for a day and a half. Payton is doing EXTREMELY well. He is on a feeding tube, but no ventilator anymore. He's back to birth weight--which is really good. He's down to only one thing stuck in him...just an IV. He's tolerating the breast milk really well. He sometimes forgets to breath which is really scary--especially if you're holding him when it happens. They are telling us to plan on an 8 week NICU stay. Hopefully they can send him back up to Logan. IF that is possible it could happen sometime next week. He's done really well, but he still has a long way to go. We are all kind of in a state of shock! We weren't expecting him for at least another 4-6 weeks at the earliest! He's a very cute little guy and we just LOVE him. Jax and Kenzie got to see him last night and they just LOVED him. Here are a few pics...they were taken with Chris' cell phone, since we didn't think we were having a baby when we went to the hospital, we didn't bring our camera.








Pictures just don't show you how small he REALLY is, but he is just a tiny little guy. We have appreciated all the offers for help as well as all the prayers. We have certainly felt the support of our families especially. We all continue to pray for him that he will be strong and not require any surgeries or have any lasting consequences from this.

5 comments:

ellen said...

Payton sounds like a strong guy! Hang in there Andersons!

Karen said...

wow that is a surprise! Congratulations on baby Payton. You don't sound worried at all, so I won't worry either. Sounds like he's going to be alright. I'll still think of you often and pray for a healthy baby boy.

jksfam said...

Congratulations on your cute little guy. Sorry that it happened so early and unexpected. It sounds like you are doing okay, though. I'm glad you mom was able to come. Good timing for Jim and Lisa, too. Our prayers will be with you and your family!

Lisa Michelle said...

Man, Nicole - that is quite a story. Payton is in our prayers - I guess the boys all just wanted to come down together or something...! Wish we could be closer to help out - so glad your mom is there now!

CMHill said...

We're glad all is going well. We think of you often.